Our Personalized Process
Intake: Before the First Meeting
- We understand that you have your own values, needs and goals. And we have the right educational counselor to help you fulfill them. So we take the time to learn about your family and child before making the best counselor match.
- We want to get to know your child as well as possible in advance of the initial meeting. So any and all information you can provide us — grades, testing, other records — will help us help you.
Initial Consultation: Assessment and Big-Picture Plan
- The goal of our in-depth first meeting is to learn about the nuances of your child’s personality and passions.
- Generally, we spend time with your whole family, then individual time with both your child and you the parents.
- The initial meeting results in us pulling together the facets of the student profile that will inform a recommended list of school, college or graduate program matches, and a step-by-step action plan designed to culminate in the achievement of the articulated goals.
Roadmap: Creation of a Personalized Educational Plan
- We compose a detailed Educational Plan and calendar, outlining each step entailed in developing a competitive candidacy at the identified range of “best fit” schools, colleges or graduate programs.
- The Educational Plan outlines each element of a successful candidacy, including recommendations on course selection, testing calendar, extracurricular activities, teacher recommendations, summer enrichment, application platforms, and personal essays.
Execution of the Educational Plan: Our Comprehensive Approach
- We will have a series of formal meetings and informal touch points to cover every element involved in developing your profile and refining and evaluating your list of schools, colleges and programs.
- We stay in contact with you in between scheduled meetings through phone calls (each student has the counselor’s cell phone), texting, FaceTime, Zoom, Skype or Google Hangout.
- We send you focused mailings highlighting timely events related to testing, course planning, campus visits, and other key events in the planning process.
- We utilize the most interactive and cutting edge technology in the educational consulting field to keep you seamlessly informed, whether by highlighting links to specific pages of our OWL Portal™ to assist with timely steps in the process or facilitating your assessment of programs, schools and colleges through the use of our mobile device friendly assessment tools.
- We offer you the full support of our team by sharing notes, expertise, essay reviews, and school, college or program lists at regular staff and supervisory meetings.
Presenting the Profile: Application and Essay Guidance
- Often the most time intensive portion of the entire process revolves around completion of applications that present you the candidate in the best possible light.
- As former writing teachers who know how to “coach” writers to present their distinctive narrative “voice,” we guide you through the essay process by providing extensive feedback over the course of multiple essay drafts of what is often dozens of essays.
- We counsel students to present their extracurricular activities within the format of particular applications.
Decision Time: Final Choice Selection
- Our goal is for you to have a range of choices once admission decisions come in.
- We counsel you on how to best evaluate your choices.
- We advise on navigating waitlists.
- We follow you right through to the point where you make your final decision and land in a setting where you will thrive.